Subject: Re: maple driver
To: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
From: Adrian McMenamin <adrian@mcmen.demon.co.uk>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 10/04/2002 18:42:05
On Friday 04 Oct 2002 6:05 pm, Andy R wrote:
> --- ITOH Yasufumi <itohy@netbsd.org> wrote:
> > No function is added for now (but I'm working on
> > memory card driver).
>
> What uses would this have? It would be neat if you
> could bootstrap a kernel stored on it, but other than
> that, is there a lot of use for it other than just
> making it work?

Well, I wrote the Linux memory card driver and you are right there is no
immediate functional use for it. But, tell me, why is anyone bothering to
port *nix to the Dreamcast?

You won't be able to bootstrap a kernel from it - well not unless you loaded
some other software that allowed you to do that - but there is little point
to that.

It can/could be used as some simple (and small) persistent storage. I am
working on the vmu file system for Linux right now, in fact.