Subject: Content for the HOWTO
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/26/2002 11:53:59
This may be a bit off topic, or maybe not, but it was
something I always ran into.

Being somewhat of a newbie to Unix (well, I've been
using it a long time but I'm not really a computer guy
by trade so I always have to learn the hard way...),
figuring out how to netboot the dreamcast was a very
daunting task for me. People kept referring to the
diskless man page and I read it probably 23 times,
backwards, forwards, and even translated it into Unix
newbie and I still didn't get it. After all that I
probably lost a few brain cells along the way as well!

If we could PLEASE put netbooting in the context of
someone like me who never netbooted anything before
and the current doc doesn't do much to help. After
Josh's help, I really made some progress.

Some inevitable topics that must be covered:

o Overview of netbooting the dreamcast (what is needed
to start in general)
o Setting up NFS server
o Setting up DHCP
o How the kernel needs to be configured to netboot
(not really relevant if they download a kernel, but
useful to know)
o How to netboot with a kernel loader instead of a
"boot disk" with a kernel already on it (I think Izumi
is working on this).

I'm willing to help.

Andy