Subject: Re: Updated HOWTO
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/26/2002 14:20:23
Obviously this was more of a shot in the dark than I thought. Still, you
have to start somewhere, and at least now I'm well-informed enough to
proceed properly.

>  * Please remove your name from the Copyright message, it will be in
>    the commit log once in-tree. :)

Just wanted to make sure I could prove I did it. :-)

>  * Small typo "personaltrial" => "personal trial"

Fixed.

>  * Wording in the paragraph replacing the two projects is a bit unclear
>    to me. How about: ``For doing useful things, only netboot is useful,
>    so only that is described here.'' IMHO it'd still be nice to have
>    instructions on doing both, esp. for a "trial" CD :)

Probably a fair statement, I can easily reword it. FYI, the reason I did
only netboot instructions here was because it seemed to be the consensus of
the list that it was what was useful -- but you make a good point about a
"trial" CD, so I should probably put pieces of that back.

>  * You can write manpages just as "exports(5)", the .list->.html
>    conversion will automatically expand that.

Didn't know enough about the conversion...now I do. :-)

>  * At least using a NetBSD NFS server, it's not "maproot=root" but
>    "-root=0"

Just going from my OpenBSD experience there. I'll make a note of the
difference between OSes.

>  * "ps aux | grep [mount/nfs]d" is not ready for cut&paste,
>    "ps aux | egrep '(mount|nfs)'d" is.

I knew that was wrong, but wasn't quite sure of the correct syntax. Thanks.

>  * besides nfs_server=yes, mention lockd=yes and statd=yes

I was completely unaware of those options. I'll put them in...and meanwhile,
any info on what exactly they do would be appreciated. :-)

>  * start dhcp by putting dhcpd=yes into /etc/rc.conf and then running
>    "sh /etc/rc.d/dhcpd start".

My knowledge appears more and more superficial as we go along here...but you
raise a good point, so I'll modify that (not to mention my home system).

>  * Maybe use an example "/home/dreamcast" instead of some non-existing
>    "<dreamcast-world>"

Very good point, will do.

>  * Maybe inline the fstab example. It's easier to print etc.

Again, a good point, since it's so small. Can-do.

>  * Submit updates by mailing them to www@netbsd.org or me.

Thanks for that info. :-)

> We'd be happy if you could send us updates for the FAQ as well.

I'll get cracking on that once the HOWTO is in good shape.

Alex Kirk