Subject: Re: Permissions on swap
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/23/2002 14:20:32
--- Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 06:38:07PM +0200, Harold
> Gutch wrote:
> >
> > Quoting "man exports":
> >
> >   A host may be specified only once for each local
> filesystem on the server
> >
> > You can export any given directory within a
> certain local
> > filesystem, but you can't export another directory
> in this
> > filesystem to the same host.  I guess that's what
> happened in
> > Alex' case.  As a workaround you can export / to
> your Dreamcast.
> > I'd suggest creating an extra partition for the
> swapfile via a
> > vnode though.  That way you won't have to
> repartition or add a
> > new harddisk.
>
> I have the following in /etc/fstab on my dreamcast:
> /.swap                  none            swap    sw
>    0 0
>
> # ls -l /.swap
> -rw-------  1 root  wheel  67108864 Sep  4 00:29
> .swap
>
> So I just export the dreamcast / normally and it
> just works for swap.
> I don't see any need for any other arrangement
> personally.

If you don't mind, spell this out for me if you would.
Are you saying that this swapfile is in the root
directory of the dreamcast filesystem, and it "just
works" because it mounts swap just after the root fs
gets mounted so it can find the swap file?

If that's the case, makes total sense and I'll
probably change my scheme.

Andy