Subject: Re: IP upload slave kernel autoloader guide
To: Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/05/2002 10:28:29
--- Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> 	I finally got around to writing up some (short,
> terse) directions
> for automating the use of Marcus' IP upload slave to
> boot a NetBSD kernel
> on the Dreamcast. The directions expect you to have
> a better grasp of how
> things work this time around.
>
> http://members.wri.com/josht/dreamcast/ipslave.html
>
> 	Let me know what you think.
> 	As far as the request for directions on making
> Dreamcast-bootable
> CDs under Windows, it's just not going to happen, at
> least not from me. I
> tried to do things once with Nero, but my version of
> Nero didn't support
> the method detailed on
> http://jules.thegypsy.com/nero/ (I couldn't burn
> the audio portion without closing the CD). In fact,
> the page seems to have
> gone away completely. Google still has it cached,
> but I'm not going to be
> the one to come up with new directions.

Just for giggles I went to the link on Marcus
Comstedt's page pointing to windows binaries for
cdrecord:

ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/alpha/win32/

I downloaded the file called:

cdrtools-1.11a12-win32-bin.tar.gz

I extracted this into my path in my cygwin environment
(www.cygwin.com), and cdrecord works fine. Just like
the directions you already have.

Assumptions: You already know your device name. I'm
not sure that this will work with an IDE drive, mine
is scsi.

Warnings: I ran cdrecord -scanbus which will show you
where your scsi burner is. This promptly gave me a
blue screen. I already knew my device but I wanted to
see what it said anyway. It's been a month or so since
I reinstalled WindersME so it's probably hosed again
anyway...

Andy