Subject: Re: BBA/Lan Adapter
To: Zachary McGrew <zmcgrew@yahoo.com>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/03/2002 15:21:53
--- Zachary McGrew <zmcgrew@yahoo.com> wrote:
>    Ok, here a little hisory into my current
> situation,
> for those not interested, skip to paragraph 3.
>
>    I got a summer job and made some money. (woo
> hoo!)
> After it was all said and done, I decided I'd treat
> myself, after all, being in highschool, I can't work
> 8
> hour days anymore. (D'oh!) So I've been wanting a
> BBA
> or Lan Adapter for a while, and now that I finally
> have money, I figured I'd buy one.
>
>    Here's the problem. I can't find one! I checked
> Lik-Sand, who is sold out. I also tried Lan-Kwei,
> who
> says in stock on the webpage, but after placing my
> order, they said their sold out.
>
> Where can I find one of those things?
> I'm not looking to spend a rediculous amount.
> (Lik-Sang & Lan-Kwei were about $110 US)
>
> Any ideas / suggestions?
> I'd prefer to buy from a reputable company, rather
> than someone on ebay I've never heard of.

Don't mean to sound like a smartass here, but you have
a problem understanding economics. My background is in
finance and by extension, economics so I can answer
this... (As the rest of the list says "Oh, that's why
he asks so many stupid questions...")

There just aren't enough of them out there. How
motivated are you to actually get one? I was motivated
to the tune of $150 on Ebay. Is that nuts? Well, for a
piece of crap realtek ethernet adapter, absolutely.
But to make the dreamcast play games on the net and
make NetBSD work, it was worth it. I'd like to buy a
'67 Corvette for a song too, but you don't see me
complaining because I can't...

Now, moving forward, keep your eyes peeled. Hit the
pawn shops and yard sales and check every machine for
the BBA in it. If you see one for a deal, buy it, play
with it, then sell it to one of those crazy people
like me not willing to go around and do all of that!

See what I mean? Economics my friend. If you need a
major for college, try economics! Serious!

Andy