Subject: Compiling software (was Re: logging into dreamcast)
To: David W. Robinson <dwrob@gasou.edu>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/03/2002 14:20:11
--- Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net> wrote:
> Hi David,
> 	The password for testuser isn't blank. testuser's
> password is
> "testuser" for simplicity's sake.
> 	When I get the Dreamcast and NetBSD server moved
> out of my bedroom
> (older IBM SCSI drives are *loud*) I'm going to see
> if the Dreamcast can
> compile a complete distribution. If and when it
> does, I'll make the
> "clean" distribution available, hopefully with
> better permissions when I
> tar it up. I hadn't considered permissions being a
> problem, mainly cause I
> worked through the directions as I wrote them and
> never encountered any
> permission issues. :(

Josh, I can agree with the IBM drives being loud. I
have 2 of them in my Sparc1 and they are painfully
loud! Also have one in my workstation and it is quite
loud as well, and it's a newer one.

I have been making packages of some of the preliminary
stuff needed to make the dreamcast usable. I just had
some problem with making packages out of some library
type packages for some reason, I haven't had time to
figure out why. Anyway, I can probably make the
packages available if there is a need. As long as
someone is using the kernel that you provided, they
should work.

About compiling, I've compiled a kernel on the
dreamcast. I need to study up on how to build
-current, but I plan to backup the machine and then
try that at some point. As far as I can tell, it
should work. I think the machine is stable enough
(after you change to 10baseT).

Fun fun!

Andy