Subject: Re: IP upload slave questions...
To: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
From: Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/03/2002 11:49:33
------     ---   -
Josh Tolbert
hemi@scoundrelz.net

Every time the power flickers, a squirrel gets his wings.

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Andy R wrote:

> Josh, maybe I'm asking the wrong question here...
>
> Is the purpose of this to not have to burn a kernel
> disc ever again? This would be my goal and I'm not
> 100% sure how to go about it.

	Yes. Once you've got the IP upload slave on CD you shouldn't need
to burn a kernel on to CD again.

> I have your CD now and all it seems to be able to do
> (as far as my feeble skills have allowed me to see) is
> load a kernel into memory, ask for the root disk over
> NFS (which your how-to fairly clearly shows us how to
> set up), mounts it, and the rest is history. You then
> have a working multi user system.
>
> I just would like to have a kernel sitting there in /
> that gets loaded instead of the one from the CD-R.
>
> I see in other's dhcpd.conf setups that there is a
> file specified to load, namely the kernel. I believe I
> saw this from a post from Alex Kirk. Is this going to
> load the new kernel in place of the one already loaded
> from the CD-R? Do I have to scramble this kernel?

	Marcus' IP upload slave doesn't do DHCP. You have to send the
kernel to the Dreamcast actively, but I'm working on a script that will
take care of this part of the deal. I've successfully used the portal file
system on NetBSD and netcat from FreeBSD to send a kernel to the
Dreamcast. I'm working on refining the netcat method, mainly cause it's
less platform-dependent than the NetBSD portal file system method.