Subject: Re: logging into dreamcast
To: David W. Robinson <dwrob@gasou.edu>
From: Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 09/03/2002 14:56:28
On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 08:22:56AM -0400, David W. Robinson wrote:
> I have installed Josh Tolbert's configuration of NetBSD for the
> Dreamcast, and it boots just fine. (The NFS server is a Linux machine.)
> For some reason, however, it won't let me login as any of the default
> users (root, toor, testuser). All of these are set to allow login
> without passwords, but something seems to be amiss.
>
> I'm not familiar with NetBSD. Am I overlooking something obvious?

How did you add your users and set the empty passwords?  NetBSD
doesn't use /etc/passwd, and even /etc/master.passwd is not used
for authentication.  You'll have to use pwd_mkdb to create
/etc/spwd.db from /etc/master.passwd.

I would suggest starting with ssh public-key authentication, then
logging in, and then using the "passwd" command on the Dreamcast to
set your passwords.

bye,
  Harold