Subject: Re: new toolchain, cross compiler, and recent kernel
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Alliet <brian@brian-web.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 03/17/2002 23:03:39
On Sunday, March 17, 2002, at 10:19 PM, Christian Groessler wrote:

> How did you compile the things which want to link to the shared libs?

The libraries were still built, just not as shared libraries. This is
set in bsd.own.mk
(from bsd.own.mk)
# The sh3 port is incomplete.
.if (${MACHINE_ARCH} == "sh3eb" || ${MACHINE_ARCH} == "sh3el") && \
     !defined(HAVE_GCC3)
NOPIC=          # defined
.endif

So basically everything is staticly linked to whatever libraries it
needs. The current hpcsh snapshot is like this too. Marcus Comstedt
posted a patch to support shared libraries some time ago. I'm not sure
how well it worked or if its been committed. I'll have to look into that.

> But my kernel with your change boots fine. But I didn't use the
> toolchain generated by a ./build.sh, but tried my 2 installed
> compilers: Target "sh-elf" of gnu/dist/toolchain and of plain
> gcc-3.0.4 with binutils 2.11.2.

Hmm.. are you using recent cvs sources (like the last few days)? I'll
try building a kernel with the stock gcc 3.04 and see if that makes a
difference.

-Brian