Subject: Re: Norwegian Blue NetBSD port
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher John Thomas <christopher.thomas@rogers.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 03/14/2002 11:50:44
On 14 Mar 2002, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> > I don't want to denegrate anybody's work, but is anything going on?
>
> Well, yes. NetBSD progresses constantly. The machine dependent work
> for the dreamcast was essentially finished. Beyond drivers for all the
> peripherals, what do you really want done?

  Um, those peripheral drivers, which are arguably more important than the
core system, as they allow a dreamcast to be used as something other than
a terminal to run pine/elm/mutt on?

  How about mainenance of pre-packaged ISOs, so that we don't go through
the ritual "I followed the FAQ but x, y, and z broke" handshaking when
new developers join the list? [Someone had volunteered to do this a while
back - progress report?]

  The Dreamcast port isn't "finished" until it lets most people who want
it do what they desire on a Dreamcast. If it fulfills *your* needs, that
doesn't mean development is over - it just means that you, personally, are
not interested in developing it further (which is fine; I can respect
that).

Ttyl,
				-Christopher Thomas