Subject: Re: port-dreamcast not a hoax. sniff.
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Groessler <cpg@aladdin.de>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 01/29/2002 17:29:47
On 01/28/2002 10:37:23 PM EST Miles Nordin wrote:

>Future work
>
>I plan to use the IP.BIN bootblock creator
>
> http://mc.pp.se/dc/files/makeip.tar.gz
>
>and the bootcode scrambler
>
> http://mc.pp.se/dc/files/scramble.c
>
>on Marcus's software page
>
> http://mc.pp.se/dc/sw.html
>
>to get the Dreamcast to boot a NetBSD kernel right off a CD.

You have to convert the netbsd elf kernel file into binary with
"sh-elf-objcopy -O binary netbsd netbsd.bin" and then scramble it with
the scramble.c tool.
I named the resulting file 1ST_READ.BIN, and used it with the default
IP.BIN.

>Now, what's this ``LAN Adapter'' I've been hearing so much about?

It's the small brother of the BBA, it only supports 10MBit. Here in
Germany it appears to be easier to get than the real BBA for some
reason.

It's incompatible to the BBA and I'm currently trying to get it to work
with the information from the lan adapter patch from here:

http://www.cerc.utexas.edu/~andrewk/dc/dcload-ip/

The chip is a MB86967, where basic support already is in NetBSD. The
lan adapter is already working more or less, but my changes are a ugly
mess :-)

regards,
chris