Subject: Re: NetBSD/Dreamcast, hang when spawning init over NFS.
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 01/27/2002 18:14:30
>>>>> "cg" == Christian Groessler <cpg@aladdin.de>

    cg> Update: I tried the 20010117-hpcsh-sh3el-coff snapshot, and
    cg> there booting over NFS works.

    cg> I now also got the 20010610 elf snapshot booting. My error was
    cg> that I used the MAKEDEV script which is inside the
    cg> snapshot. After running the dreamcast MAKEDEV script it
    cg> worked.

great.  Since you are one of the few people who have actually gotten a
Dreamcast to boot single-user, maybe you can answer two questions:

1. Which kernel did you use?

2. Where do you get ``the dreamcast MAKEDEV''?  If I were looking for
   this, I would look in the Dreamcast snapshots, but apparently that
   is wrong.

As for assembling a ``working snapshot,'' maybe you should just
combine the kernel, userland, and ``dreamcast MAKEDEV'' you used in
one place so that others don't have to go hunting all over the place
for them like a bunch of warez kiddies.

It might be good to mirror Marcus's IP Slave and netcat.c on the
official FTP site as well.

I can understand that gcc is broken, but this is just basic FTP site
maintenance stuff that will win you a half-working unstable machine.
I just had exactly the same ``it's a hoax'' problem everyone else is
having, and ``go check the archives'' is utter bullshit.  This is a
major embarrassment, and it disturbs me because it compromises my
positioning as a NetBSD user to rudely mock others, and this benefit
is the main reason that I use NetBSD.

If you can help me get my Dreamcast working, I will write and submit a
patch for the FAQ as Mr. Brownlee suggested, and I'll try to write
politely.

--
Stage 1 - Write Solaris-x86
Stage 2 - ...