Subject: Re: how to compile an ELF snapshot?
To: Christian Groessler <cpg@aladdin.de>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 01/17/2002 09:02:17
On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 02:15:48PM +0100, Christian Groessler wrote:

 > I'm trying to cross compile the distribution. I created the ELF
 > toolchain with
 >
 > USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN=yes OBJECT_FMT=ELF ./build.sh -t -m dreamcast
 >
 > which worked fine.

The new ELF toolchain is known to have some bugs on the SuperH.  I haven't
finished merging fixes from the old SuperH toolchain into the new one yet.

For example, if you build a kernel with the new toolchain, networking doesn't
work (I know it's not just me; someone else reported this to me, as well).

 > cleandir ===> gnu
 > cleandir ===> gnu/lib
 > cleandir ===> gnu/lib/libbfd
 > nbmake: "/usr/oth2/src/gnu/lib/libbfd/Makefile" line 14: Could not find /usr/oth2/src/gnu/lib/libbfd/arch/sh3el/defs.mk
 > nbmake: Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
 >
 > nbmake: stopped in /usr/oth2/src/gnu/lib/libbfd
 > *** Error code 1
 >

 > There don't appear to be SH directories in src/gnu/lib/libbfd/arch ??

Yes, this is because the toolchain2netbsd script requires being run ON
the platform for which you're generating the configuration.  I need to
get an updated kernel working on my Dreamcast first, because the old one
isn't stable enough to run this script (there have been some bugfixes
in the SuperH code that address the problems I was having).