Subject: Re: Accomplishments to shoot for.
To: Rob Healey <rhealey@norstar.com>
From: M. R. Brown <mrbrown@0xd6.org>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 01/09/2002 16:13:57
--Y/WcH0a6A93yCHGr

* Rob Healey <rhealey@norstar.com> on Wed, Jan 09, 2002:

> 	That's the question! I have no idea on how far, or not, the GTK+/fb
> 	work has gotten.
> =20

I've used QtE on the Dreamcast to some extent, but I usually got caught up
with buggy GCC :/.  I haven't looked at GTK+/fb in a long while.

> 	What addresses do I use for LinuxDC CVS and that nummy looking
> 	KOS CVS? I assume they are anonymous read-only CVS servers?
> =20

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxdc.sf.net:/cvsroot/linuxdc login (hit
enter when prompted for password), followed by
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxdc.sf.net:/cvsroot/linuxdc co \
  linux-sh-dc

The instructions for KOS are similiar, it lives at cadcdev.sf.net.

> 	While technically true, having the docs straight from the
> 	horses mouth would probably save alot of time on tweeks. Not
> 	all the hardware features are necessarily known or used by the
> 	games.
>=20

True, but in the majority of cases they aren't used as they are superflous.
Remember that these games are tuned to maximize hardware performance, there
isn't much you're going to be able to tweak beyond that.  There are also a
huge number of debug or status registers in the DC hardware (how many bytes
remain on a DMA transfer, etc.) that aren't useful for anything (makes the
DC look like it has a lot more "usable" registers).

> 	Still "dreaming" of an inexpensive HD+Ether+USB module I don't
> 	have to etch/solder myself. If only the DC had more RAM as well...
> =20

I know of at least one person working on ISA+netcard (8390-based) "kits", I
probably shouldn't say more than that (except that they're serious).

> 	Technically true, but having the full register specs and some
> 	pointer info from the engineers certainly couldn't hurt!
>=20

Of course it couldn't hurt, but it boils down to making do with what you
have (or make available).

M. R.

--Y/WcH0a6A93yCHGr

--Y/WcH0a6A93yCHGr--