Subject: Re: whats going on?
To: Rob Healey <rhealey@norstar.com>
From: Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 01/08/2002 12:07:11

[... my rant elided ...]

Rob> I've found it both interesting and frustrating that none of the
Rob> people who HAVE gotten things to work have chosen not to ditch
Rob> the Wintel tools and provide a way to bootstrap via
Rob> mkisofs/cdrecord and other opensource tools.

I was assuming that it was because people probably have more access to
CD recorders under Windows systems than under Unix systems, whether
it's at work or via Kinko's or what have you.  There's a script
floating around that implements the bootstrap construction via free
Unix using mkisofs and cdrecord, and the documentation page by Marcus
gives specific Unix instructions.

Rob> Does anyone know why DiskJuggler/Nero are still being used when
Rob> opensource/NetBSD alternative's like mkisofs and cdrecord exist?
Rob> I find it VERY puzzling that a NetBSD group would advocate using
Rob> a wintel rather than a pure BSD solution...

I still use DiskJuggler and Nero because my girlfriend would be pissed
if I took her burner out and stuck it in my server, and our household
is sufficiently small that having two burners is an expense better put
off until we're both gainfully employed.

Rob> Since I neither have, nor have access to, WinTel abominations
Rob> I've basically given up on ever having NetBSD/Dreamcast
Rob> running. B^(.

Have you tried Marcus's instructions with mkisofs and cdrecord?  The
part that I screwed up a lot was the business about taking the kernel
and scrambling it then doing the whatever with IP.BIN to it.  If you
can figure out exactly how to do that and stick it in a script of some
sort, then you'll probably be well appreciated by the other folks who
don't use Windows at all.

Rob> I've noticed the list pretty much went dead after Marcus(?)
Rob> stopped regular posts. Don't know if Jason ever trolls these
Rob> parts or not.

The archives did seem to be more active and informative than the
current state.  I wonder if it's because the project has lost its
allure as it's nearly functional now -- no more sexy accomplishments
that can be reasonably accomplished in a short amount of time.

Rob> -Rob

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley