Subject: Re: whats going on?
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 01/07/2002 21:52:15
>>>>> "MR" == M R Brown <mrbrown@0xd6.org> writes:

Jack> I expect the same way any other device is supported.

MR> In an ideal world where proprietary crap doesn't prevail in the
MR> marketplace, yes.  But in the real world where manufacturers
MR> implement copy-protection across the board (there are several
MR> mechanisms built into the Dreamcast and it's perihperals), good
MR> luck.

I'm not surprised there are protections against duplication of
peripherals, since that would seem to me to be a major profit center
for Sega and those who license from them.

Jack> As to how I'd learn more about the device, well, that's a
Jack> non-trivial problem.  I'd start by asking those who implemented
Jack> the support for the broadband adapter how they gathered the
Jack> information they needed.  Then I'd check the code to see if/how
Jack> devices are detected, and see if the device is detected already
Jack> but just not yet implemented and understood.  Finally, if that
Jack> doesn't work, I'd ask some friends of mine who work at Sega for
Jack> pointers.

MR> It's not non-trivial, it's something that has been plodded over
MR> since the Dreamcast became hackable.  We have long since gotten
MR> "pointers" from Sega, and it was something along the lines of
MR> "firmware must be downloaded to the modem to make it useful.  That
MR> firmware is copyrighted and it's illegal to use as is".

Sure.  So don't use their firmware.  The traditional way around that
particular dilemma is to develop other firmware that has sufficient
capabilities to match the needs of the device driver.

MR> As far as device detection, well, yeah, that was already figured
MR> out too.  But because no one has any firmware they can send to the
MR> POS winmodem, detecting the device isn't that useful.

It's a start.  If more is known about the hardware, then more can be
written to support it.  I'm not trying to be annoying here, but it's
possible that the chipset used by this modem could have been used by
another modem that's supported by another free operating system like
Linux if not by NetBSD already.  If not, perhaps one related to this
one has already been done.

MR> The modem will not be supported, by *any* non-licensed Sega
MR> software, period.

That's a rather pessimistic assertion, and it flies in the face of the
whole concept.  But whatever.

Jack> But I won't do any of this at all unless I can get the bloody
Jack> thing to boot, and I can't do that because the downloadable disk
Jack> image for DiskJuggler doesn't work for me on the downloadable
Jack> version of DiskJuggler.  The downloadable version of Nero
Jack> doesn't work, either, when I use a downloadable program that
Jack> converts DiskJuggler images into Nero images.  I've asked
Jack> several times for assistance, and all I get are messages that
Jack> say "it works for me" with absolutely no useful information like
Jack> what software version they're using for burning the disks, or
Jack> what media they're using, or anything at all.

MR> If you cannot follow the instructions at
MR> http://mc.pp.se/dc/cdr.html, then you need to do one of three
MR> things:

MR> 1) Make sure your Dreamcast can even boot CDRs in the first place.
MR> 2) Buy a new burner.
MR> 3) Buy new CDRs.

MR> Step 1 can be accomplished by flipping your DC over and looking
MR> for the Manufactured date.  If it's anything past October 2000,
MR> you're probably out of luck.

Okay, mine says June 2000.  I have reason to believe that my DC can
play CD-R disks as the individual who sold me the BBA included a CD-R
to test my BBA, and the CD-R he sent worked.  (I recalled the date
from the web page, but thank you for including it in your message.)

MR> Step 2 and 3 were mentioned because not all burners can burn DC
MR> CDRs properly, and not all CDR media can be read by the DC.

Is there a known list of burners that can burn DC CD-Rs?  The device
I'm working with identifies itself on Windows as "TEAC CD-W54E".

Is there a known list of media that works in the DC?  The media I have
is labeled "IMATION CD-R 1x-12x Compatible 700MB/80MIN".

MR> M. R.

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley