Subject: Re: whats going on?
To: Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org>
From: M. R. Brown <mrbrown@0xd6.org>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 01/07/2002 20:12:20
--hK8Uo4Yp55NZU70L

* Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org> on Mon, Jan 07, 2002:

>=20
> I expect the same way any other device is supported.=20
>=20
>  * Learn more about how the device works externally and internally. =20
>  * Determine how to make it do what I want on a low level. =20
>  * Document that and write driver-level code to implement it. =20
>  * Test the code to ensure that it has no obvious flaws.
>  * Submit it to the list.
>=20

In an ideal world where proprietary crap doesn't prevail in the
marketplace, yes.  But in the real world where manufacturers implement
copy-protection across the board (there are several mechanisms built into
the Dreamcast and it's perihperals), good luck.

> As to how I'd learn more about the device, well, that's a non-trivial
> problem.  I'd start by asking those who implemented the support for
> the broadband adapter how they gathered the information they needed.
> Then I'd check the code to see if/how devices are detected, and see if
> the device is detected already but just not yet implemented and
> understood.  Finally, if that doesn't work, I'd ask some friends of
> mine who work at Sega for pointers.
>=20

It's not non-trivial, it's something that has been plodded over since the
Dreamcast became hackable.  We have long since gotten "pointers" from Sega,
and it was something along the lines of "firmware must be downloaded to the
modem to make it useful.  That firmware is copyrighted and it's illegal to
use as is".

As far as device detection, well, yeah, that was already figured out too.
But because no one has any firmware they can send to the POS winmodem,
detecting the device isn't that useful.

The modem will not be supported, by *any* non-licensed Sega software, perio=
d.

> But I won't do any of this at all unless I can get the bloody thing to
> boot, and I can't do that because the downloadable disk image for
> DiskJuggler doesn't work for me on the downloadable version of
> DiskJuggler.  The downloadable version of Nero doesn't work, either,
> when I use a downloadable program that converts DiskJuggler images
> into Nero images.  I've asked several times for assistance, and all I
> get are messages that say "it works for me" with absolutely no useful
> information like what software version they're using for burning the
> disks, or what media they're using, or anything at all.
>=20

If you cannot follow the instructions at http://mc.pp.se/dc/cdr.html, then
you need to do one of three things:

1) Make sure your Dreamcast can even boot CDRs in the first place.
2) Buy a new burner.
3) Buy new CDRs.

Step 1 can be accomplished by flipping your DC over and looking for the
Manufactured date.  If it's anything past October 2000, you're probably out
of luck.

Step 2 and 3 were mentioned because not all burners can burn DC CDRs
properly, and not all CDR media can be read by the DC.

M. R.

--hK8Uo4Yp55NZU70L

--hK8Uo4Yp55NZU70L--