Subject: Sound & DMA [was: Re: Sound]
To: Adrian McMenamin <adrian@mcmen.demon.co.uk>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 11/18/2001 14:37:07
On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> Anyone?

Sorry, no sound/driver experience here. The kernel API that needs to be
presented to the upper kernel layers is documented in the
audio(9) manpage.

> Plus, is there any support for DMA in the NetBSD kernel for the DC? There are
> problems with it in Linux and while I won't pretend to be good enough a
> kernel hacker to even dream of fixing them I was wondering whether similar
> problems had been faced/overcome in NetBSD.

To make drivers platform-independent, NetBSD provides a general scheme for
DMA as well as bus space access. The interfaces are defined in the
bus_dma(9) and bus_space(9) manpages. Looking at -current's
src/sys/arch/dreamcast/include/bus.h, this seems to be implemented, so
there should be a good chance to use the machine-independent DMA scheme.

Maybe ask further questions on the general API on tech-kern@netbsd.org
(no subscribe needed to post, archive at http://mail-index.netbsd.org/).

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html