Subject: RE: dreamcast production status
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: James West <zerowren@msn.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 05/29/2001 06:38:57
>From: Richard Munn <RichardM@codemasters.com>
>To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
>CC: port-dreamcast@netbsd.org
>Subject: RE: dreamcast production status
>Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 11:14:23 +0100
>
> > 	IIRC Pace in the UK licenced the dreamcast design for a settop
> > 	box, though we've yet to see anything ship...
>
>I gather that they're having big problems finding any satellite / cable
>companies that actually want to use the system (which obviously is a
>necessity, since as the box has no gdrom drive, it can only play games that
>the box can download from the provider)
>
>I'd be interested to know if it's possible to drive a cable modem in
>reverse
>(i.e. plug the cable modem directly into the pace box, rather than to the
>normal cable feed) so you could provide your own content

Not unless the Pace box can actually run services similiar to http or ftp.
If the content is provided via a system that individual Pace boxes could
run, then it's possible, just like a person can setup a web server off of a
cable modem, or even dialup for that matter.

I'm talking 2-way cable here, with no dial-up uplink. But, I'd suppose 1-way
cable would work the same way, just slower.