Subject: RE: double posts
To: Richard Munn <RichardM@codemasters.com>
From: Adrian Ho <aholx@singnet.com.sg>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 05/01/2001 19:33:53
On Tue, 1 May 2001, Richard Munn wrote:

> Isn't it partly because the list seems to work differently to other
> lists (i.e. most list servers automatically set the reply-to field as
> back to the mailing list)

We must be in different universes -- my experience has been that munging
messages with "Reply-To: list" _isn't_ common practice.

In fact, most of the lists I subscribe to which did this quickly dropped
the practice after horrible mail cascades triggered by broken /
misconfigured auto-responders of one form or another (vacation programs,
anti-virus mail gateways, etc.)

To say nothing of combatants who were "forced" by "Reply-To: list" to
perpetuate pointless flamewars.  "I wanted to take it offline, but Reply
on my mail client sent it right back to the list!"

There's more broken mail software / users out there than anyone cares to
admit, and "Reply-To: list" is usually one of the keys that opens the
floodgate to the sewer...

--
Adrian Ho   aholx@singnet.com.sg