Subject: RE:current status of dreamcast port
To: None <David@ixibbs.iximd.com>
From: Greg Gonnerman <greg_gonnerman@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 03/26/2001 15:26:01
> Back to the rumor.. could someone PLEASE "ONCE AND FOR ALL" clear
> this up for me (about NEW consoles not booting CDRs) This is the
> reason I have held off in buying a console!!!!

Consoles produced as late as September are confirmed to have
the older firmware which allows booting from CD-R media.

Consoles built after September may or may not have the
new firmware. Perhaps someone else on this list has the
definitive answer on the cutoff date.

If you check the archives, you'll find a message from John Byrd
of Sega of America in which he confirms that new consoles
"appearing on shelves soon" would not boot from CD-R media.

If you're in North America, you should have no problem finding
a new Dreamcast built in or before September. You can see the
date on the back of the console through the square hole on
the back of the box.

Regards,

Greg