Subject: RE: IPupload/BBA
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: RC5Stint <rc5stint@yahoo.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 03/23/2001 17:54:06

Exactly.  The adapter does not have an address assigned yet.

> I also tried using arp -s dreamcast xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, but this returns
with
> an error about not being able to resolve the name

John,

If you want to use names instead of numerical IP addresses, you need to do
any of two things:

You could set up your own DNS server in your internal network.  This is not
very complicated to do, and you can use the very NetBSD/i386 box you are
using to develop.  DNS is a very lightweight process for a small home
network; it won't affect the performance of your dev machine in the least.

The other alternative is using a .hosts file in the /etc directory of every
machine.  This is even more lightweight than DNS, and really easy to
maintain.  In fact, if you have fewer than 10 machines in your network, I
would just use a .hosts file in each one.

But first you need to do this:

arp -s the.desired.IP.address the:MAC:address:goes:in:here

You only have to run the arp command once; the BBA will remember its IP
address because it stores this in the DC's configuration flash ROM.

When you boot IPUpload on the Dreamcast, it will show the address you used
in the arp command.  From now on, when sending stuff to your DC use that IP
address.

Later,
RC5Stint