Subject: Q: state of the spiral: netbsd-dreamcast as a platform for 3d games
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: None <luka@mail.ljudmila.org>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 03/17/2001 23:21:18
hi!

i'm lurking in this group without a dreamcast, hoping to buy one this year (they are 200$ here and hard to find) and somehow get a BBA (sega only ships to US). but enough about me. here's the question:

What is the current state of support for 3D accelerated graphics and sound functions of the dreamcast? I presume there is no OpenGL port (or even attempt) yet, but are there any low-level C routines that work the TA or the sound generator in a fairly general way? i have tried programming the playstation (1) but have found available libraries useful only for very basic things, ie making games that look a lot like 8 bit games did... :) Anyone has plans for doing a library? i hope so... Is it possible to make this library in user-space or would it have to include a kernel driver?

I know it takes time to develop such libraries, so please don't take me for a newbie demanding the impossible yesterday. I'd really like to know where we stand now and where we're going, so i can make an informed decision about this.

thanks in advance
LF