Subject: Re: maple_attach_dev
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Marcus Comstedt <marcus@idonex.se>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 03/17/2001 05:59:41

  Jason> It all seems reasonable.

  Jason> But, there isn't much of a way to assign units as you describe, without
  Jason> some additional layer of indirection.

What is really important is that minor dev number is dependent on
position and not just sequence number.  Assume you have one device X
plugged into port A and one device Y plugged into port C.  If you
unplug device X, you don't want device Y to be renumbered, and when
you plug it back into port B, you don't want to a new device number
greater than that of device Y¹.  This is all assuming working
hotplugging/unplugging of maple devices, which we don't have right now
but which I assume is simple enough to implement as it should be
needed already for things like USB.

¹ The reason being, that if you get new higher device numbers each
time you unplug and replug, you'll soon run out of any number of
premade device nodes in /dev.

  // Marcus