Subject: RE: X-Box and PS2 port candidacy
To: None <daniele@ncssm.edu>
From: Marcus Comstedt <marcus@idonex.se>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 03/15/2001 15:47:44
>>>>> "daniele" == daniele  <daniele@ncssm.edu> writes:

  daniele> Yeah, I know we can't use the code, but do we really want a different
  daniele> filesystem?  Some very smart people put a lot of time into it; not that the
  daniele> same couldn't be done again, but what's the point?  Also, it would seem good
  daniele> to me if an eventual linux port could share the FS on the memory cards and
  daniele> the like.

I'm sorry to burst all this creative "flash filesystem" discussion,
but what we really need to do is use the existing SEGA filesystem, or
you will be unable to

* use the same memory card for both NetBSD files and game saves
* copy files between two memorycards without the aid of NetBSD
* operate the cards normally at all, since the firmware in card does
  consistency checks on the filesystem

If we need stuff like long filenames and directories, these should be
implemented on top of the existing filesystem somehow.

  // Marcus