Subject: Re: Number Crunching
To: Vann, Mark \(CRTATL\) <Mark.Vann@concert.com>
From: John Hartnup <john@hartnup.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 03/13/2001 14:00:51
On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 08:29:28AM -0500, Vann, Mark (CRTATL) wrote:
> Ahh, i would love to see a benchmark with this , ;-) I wonder if it would
> keep up with say a pentium 2 500?

I know the distributed.net folks work hard on writing tight ASM cores
for common platforms, with the C core as a second-best for less commonly
used CPUs. I'll bet there's no SH assembly core, so you could expect the
Pentium to have an unfair advantage.

For a fair, but purely theoretical, benchmark, you could of course use the
C cores for both, but even then you're benchmarking the combination of
the CPU and the compiler's optimisation routines, which will be more mature
for the Pentium...

"They tuck you up, your mum and dad, they may not mean to, but they do.
 They give you all the quilts they had, and add some pillows just for you."