Subject: Re: Modem Info, Hi, and Stuff.
To: None <biosehn@airmail.net>
From: Marcus Comstedt <marcus@idonex.se>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 03/06/2001 16:15:33

  Jonathan> This doesn't do any good without someone figuring out how to talk to the
  Jonathan> modem,
  Jonathan> which is on the other side of the expansion port, but here's where you can
  Jonathan> find
  Jonathan> the Conexant datasheet:
  Jonathan> http://www.conexant.net/data/TechDocs/External/100663H.pdf

The Conexant datasheet is useless, as it doesn't describe the host
interface.  Sorry.

  Jonathan> I'm wondering something (as I've yet to try booting NetBSD on my DC), how
  Jonathan> does NetBSD view the expansion port? and how does the expansion port work,
  Jonathan> exactly? I kinda get the gist of the maple bus (read some of that on one of
  Jonathan> the many dc hacking pages.. ), but I have no idea on whatever it uses on the
  Jonathan> expansion port.

The expansion port works like the expansion port of most home
computers; it's just a bit of the CPU bus that you can connect stuff
to.

  Jonathan> Another question: does NetBSD intercept whatever triggers the DC system
  Jonathan> menu to
  Jonathan> appear when you open the top? I assume it does.. anyway to detect it
  Jonathan> ourselves?

There is nothing to "intercept"; any program that jums to the system
menu upon opening of the drive lid does so of its own free will.  It's
possible to check the GDROM drive status to see if the lid is open or
not.

  // Marcus