Subject: Re: random reboots
To: Travis <travis@funac.org>
From: Greg Ingram <ingram@symsys.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 03/06/2001 08:47:43
Travis,

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Travis wrote:

> This is really frustrating me. I got Saitoh's "netbsd-DCUSZEROTEST" kernel
> booting fine, it NFS mounts a root partition (and optionally a swap file),
> rc runs fine (but it gives some permission errors on /var?), etc. So I
> finally get to try this out...but:

FWIW, my DC seems pretty stable but I'm doing _very_ little in /etc/rc.
In fact, all I do is configure the loopback device and start inetd.
The start of my /etc/rc looks like:

	export HOME=/
	export PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
	ifconfig lo0 127.0.0.1
	inetd &
	exit 0

Here's a process list:

	# ps ax
	ps: warning: /var/run/dev.db: No such file or directory
	PID TT STAT    TIME COMMAND
	  0 ?? DKs  0:00.01 (swapper)
	  1 ?? Is   0:00.26 init
	  2 ?? SK   0:00.16 (nfsio)
	  3 ?? SK   0:00.01 (nfsio)
	  4 ?? IK   0:00.00 (nfsio)
	  5 ?? IK   0:00.00 (nfsio)
	  6 ?? DK   0:00.01 (pagedaemon)
	  7 ?? DK   0:00.04 (reaper)
	  8 ?? DK   0:00.04 (ioflush)
	  9 ?? DK   0:00.07 (aiodoned)
	 13 ?? Is   0:00.12 inetd
	 18 ?? S    0:00.61 telnetd
	 19 ?? Ss   0:00.44 -sh
	 23 ?? R+   0:00.11 ps ax
	 17 ?? Is+  0:00.43 /usr/libexec/getty std.115200 console

And I'd turn off that getty if I'd take the time to find where it's
started.  Perhaps you could try cutting down what's running to isolate the
culprit.  I've been able to build a (non-booting) kernel and I don't have
any swap.

- Greg