Subject: Re: Readablilty
To: Marcus Comstedt <marcus@idonex.se>
From: Neil Ludban <nludban@columbus.rr.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 03/05/2001 20:01:38
Marcus Comstedt wrote:

>   John> Hi,
>
>   John> I tried out a NetBSD image on my DC over the weekend, just to see if it worked.
>
>   John> Although I didn't get as far as mounting a / filesystem, what immediately
>   John> struck me was the strange looking writing (this was on my TV, using RGB) -
>   John> it appears as if lines were missing from the display, making the text
>   John> very hard to read (but possible if you know what you're looking for).
>
> I noticed this myself when I tried booting with a video monitor
> yesterday (I normally use VGA).  There is something wrong with the
> code, but I don't know what yet.

There may be nothing wrong with the code.  Television sets are
normally adjusted so the picture runs off the edges of the screen
by an inch or more on all four sides; the reason being that the
electronics degrade over time, causing the image to drift.  If it
were adjusted right on the edge of the screen, the image could
drift inward leaving a black stripe, and the irate customer would
return the TV to the repair shop demanding a full size picture.

FWIW, I'm missing at least one full line at the top, most of the
bottom line, and several characters on each side.

I'm also seeing really fuzzy edges on the characters, almost as if
they are jumping up and down by a pixel or so.  This is (I think)
caused by the slow, interlaced refresh rate combined with high
contrast of white on a black background.

	--Neil