Subject: Readablilty
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: John Hartnup <john@hartnup.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 03/05/2001 12:08:11
Hi,

I tried out a NetBSD image on my DC over the weekend, just to see if it worked.

Although I didn't get as far as mounting a / filesystem, what immediately
struck me was the strange looking writing (this was on my TV, using RGB) -
it appears as if lines were missing from the display, making the text
very hard to read (but possible if you know what you're looking for).

I'm interested in compiling an Infocom text adventure interpreter for NetBSD
on Dreamcast, and distributing a disk image containing a number of public
domain Interactive Fiction works, so you can see how I'm interested in
seeing a console that's readable on low quality TV screens using RF, and
at a distance.

Is there an option to use a larger font for the console, possibly aiming for
a 40 column (ish) display? I am not a kernel hacker...

Thanks,

John

"They tuck you up, your mum and dad, they may not mean to, but they do.
 They give you all the quilts they had, and add some pillows just for you."