Subject: RE: Greetings (Beta
To: None <port-dreamcast@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Munn <RichardM@codemasters.com>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/23/2001 10:49:39

------_=_NextPart_001_01C09D86.51DE3730

> Is there any future plans to incorporate an IRC client
> (ircII, Epic, or any X clients if it will run X)

I don't see why something like ircII couldn't just be compiled and run
directly without change on Dreamcast netbsd.  However as the average DC user
is the sort of person who has probably never gone online from a PC, yet
alone from a unix text shell, I'm sure it's not the best approach.

There have been talks about the possibility of getting qt/embedded ported.
Does it have an IRC client already, or would it be best to take the ircII
source and adapt it to a DC specific client?

On a similar subject, something I've been meaning to say but haven't got
round to till now, is that many people have been asking what the point of
running NetBSD on a dreamcast is.  The best answer I can come up with is a
stable networking platform to build software onto.  This way I could write a
multiplayer networked game without having to worry about getting a TCP/IP
stack or dial up working - I could just do a system function call to go
online, and the OS would then do whatever is necessary depending on the
configured hardware.  Also using a 'nix base makes it much easier to port
existing software, and it's attractive to programmers with 'nix background.
I imagine once this port has become mature, the majority of people booting
into NetBSD on their Dreamcasts won't see a user login prompt, but whatever
game/application that they are running, that happens to use a BSD base.

--
Richard Munn | Programmer | Codemasters Software
 richardm@codemasters.com | http://www.codemasters.com

the system manager.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C09D86.51DE3730

<HTML><HEAD>

<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=610263910-23022001></SPAN><FONT face="Courier New"
size=2>&gt;<SPAN class=610263910-23022001> </SPAN>Is there any future plans to
incorporate an IRC client</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=610263910-23022001></SPAN><FONT face="Courier New"
size=2>&gt;<SPAN class=610263910-23022001> </SPAN>(ircII, Epic, or any X clients
if it will run X)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Courier New" size=2><SPAN class=610263910-23022001>I don't see
why something like ircII couldn't just be compiled and run directly without
change on Dreamcast netbsd.&nbsp; However as the average DC user is the sort of
person who has probably never gone online from a PC, yet alone from a unix text
shell, I'm sure it's not the best approach.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Courier New" size=2><SPAN
class=610263910-23022001></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Courier New" size=2><SPAN class=610263910-23022001>There have
been talks about the possibility of getting qt/embedded ported.&nbsp; Does it
have an IRC client already, or would it be best to take the ircII source and
adapt it to a DC specific client?</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Courier New" size=2><SPAN
class=610263910-23022001></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Courier New" size=2><SPAN class=610263910-23022001>On a similar
subject, something I've been meaning to say but haven't got round to till now,
is that many people have been asking what the point of running NetBSD on a
dreamcast is.&nbsp; The best answer I can come up with is a stable networking
platform to build software onto.&nbsp; This way I could write a multiplayer
networked game without having to worry about getting a TCP/IP stack or dial up
working - I could just do a system function call to go online, and the OS would
then do whatever is necessary depending on the configured hardware.&nbsp; Also
using a 'nix base makes it much easier to port existing software, and it's
attractive to programmers with 'nix background.&nbsp; I imagine once this port
has become mature, the majority of people booting into NetBSD on their
Dreamcasts won't see a user login prompt, but whatever game/application that
they are running, that happens to use a BSD base.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<P><FONT face="Courier New" size=2>-- <BR>Richard Munn | Programmer |
Codemasters Software <BR>&nbsp;richardm@codemasters.com | <FONT color=#000000><A
href="http://www.codemasters.com/"
target=_blank>http://www.codemasters.com</A></FONT>
<BR>&nbsp;richard.munn@bigfoot.com | <FONT color=#000000><A
href="http://vmudev.dcemulation.com/"
target=_blank>http://vmudev.dcemulation.com</A></FONT> <BR>&nbsp; (01926) 814132
Ext. 220&nbsp;<SPAN class=610263910-23022001>| </SPAN>Help me! I'm turning into
a grapefruit! </FONT></P><CODE><FONT SIZE=3><BR>
<BR>
**********************************************************************<BR>
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and<BR>
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they<BR>
are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify<BR>
the system manager.<BR>
<BR>
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by<BR>
MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></CODE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C09D86.51DE3730--