Subject: RE: Greetings (Beta
To: Dan Field <dof@chi.swan.ac.uk>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/23/2001 10:48:27
On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Dan Field wrote:

> > Also, in regards to the IRC network, the current PlanetWeb browser has an
> > incredibly low-quality IRC client, and IRC is a very big attraction to the
> > Dreamcast and its online potential. Is there any future plans to incorporate
> > an IRC client (ircII, Epic, or any X clients if it will run X), and if so,
> > what will it be?

	NetBSD/dreamcast should be able to compile and run any of the IRC
	clients in http://www.netbsd.org/packages/chat/, plus others not
	yet in pkgsrc. There is also an irc C library in there which could
	be used to make writing a new client easier.

	X clients should also compile and run, but obviously until
	NetBSD/dreamcast has X server support they will have to set
	their DISPLAY to another machine.

	If someone putting together a snapshot would like to compile up
	a few of the text based ones and include them in a CD image
	(maybe along with lynx and some of the other text webbrowsers)
	it would certainly make the CD image interesting to more people :)

> I have always had an interest in IRC and over the last 8 years have become
> somewhat of an adict, I would like to get involved writing such a client if
> anyone else is interested.
>
> My only problem is that I am a java programmer and have no real C
> experience.

	Have you tried the various clients to get a feel for what is
	currently available and lacking?

		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --