Subject: RE: JAVA VM instead of X server?
To: <>
From: Joshua Coombs <predius@gwi.net>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/13/2001 12:15:01
On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Richard Munn wrote:

> > I use Netbsd in 16M on a 386, it takes a few mins for X to
> > get settled as far as what's going to be swapped out ...
>                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> There's the problem.  A 16 meg system with plenty of swap is more than
> capable of running X.  However diskless system is going to have major
> troubles (and I imagine swapping over NFS would be way too slow, if it's
> possible at all!)
>
> --
> Richard Munn | Programmer | Codemasters Software

Hrmmm... didn't think about that, I keep assuming someone will have
whipped up an IDE interface or something for these machines.  Metro-X has
a 'micro-x' package for embeded systems, perhaps we could convince them to
commision a port to the dreamcast once the main NetBSD underpinings are
taken care of?

The other off the wall idea is compress the memory?  IBM is planning on
doing memory compression in hardware, and it's been done for years in
software on the mac, how big of a hassle would it be to impliment it into
the memory management of the NetBSD kernel?  Would it even be worth
attempting?

Joshua Coombs