Subject: Re: weird problem with ip upload slave
To: Jason <gee308@mediaone.net>
From: J.D. Forinash <foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu>
List: port-dreamcast
Date: 02/13/2001 09:24:34
On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 09:08:05AM -0500, Jason wrote:
> The ip serial slave code I downloaded weas straight from Marcus's site,
> but I checked the IP.BIN anyway and it said it could boot to all
> countries.  Also I tried burning to several other brand CDs but they
> wouldnt work in the Japense DC, but would in the US DC.  I also have
> different brand CDs that I burned running on the DC so I don't think it
> is because of crappy CDs.  Any other suggestsions, as I will primarily
> be testing with my Japanese DC.  Appreciate the help.

Dunno for certain, but I've been collating the "this unit boots" and
"this unit doesn't boot" that's come across this list and the only
Dreamcasts that have been reported not to boot are Japanese models,
in the "Sakura Wars" packaging. There's not been a whole lot of this
info on the list of yet-- if you've got a Dreamcast and you know it
boots or does not boot CD-Rs, drop me a line with the manufacture
date (if it's there) and serial & model numbers and I'll collate the data
and try to figure out where the cut-off is and get the collated information
to the list.

I'd kinda doubt the CD quality thing, too. I've not worked with a
Japanese Dreamcast, but it seems odd to me that Sega would use
different hardware for the GD-ROM drives for different Dreamcasts.

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                           ,-.
Georgia Tech College of Computing CNS  ( <