Subject: Re: RaQ1 / Stock NetBSD Recovery ISO
To: Alex Pelts <alexp@broadcom.com>
From: James Hartley <jjhartley@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/11/2007 03:52:05
On 6/27/07, Alex Pelts <alexp@broadcom.com> wrote:
> You only need to follow parts that describe copying files out of cd.
> Then replace kernel that is served over nfs with your desired kernel. I
> would also replace kernel that is installed with your desired kernel. Do
> not replace user land or installation files.

I apologize upfront for my naivete, but this is my first venture into
building a Restore CD...

0. I replaced the contents of /nfsroot/cobalt on Rowdy's NetBSD 3.0
restore CD with:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-4/200707090002Z/cobalt

1.  The boot loader file from the 3.0 restore CD, boot.gz, was
restored to the new /nfsroot/cobalt/binary/kernel directory.

2.  The 3.0 restore CD had netbsd-GENERIC.gz copied as netbsd.gz in
/nfsroot/cobalt/binary/kernel, so I did the same with this 4.0_BETA2
attempt.

3.  Installing from this new CD progressed uneventfully until the
first reboot where it appears to fail I assume during the loading of
the kernel.  The last output from the serial connection at this point
was:

>> NetBSD/cobalt 3.0 Bootloader, Revision 0.1 [@0x80f00000]
>> (root@cobalt, Sun Jan  1 10:42:07 UTC 2006)
>> Memory:              262144 k
>> PROM boot string:    root=/dev/hda1 ro
Boot [wd0a:netbsd]:
3442144+185988 [186848+181872]=0x3d00a8
Starting at 0x80001000

Any insight as to the cause of this failure would be appreciated.

Jim