Subject: Re: total weirdness? "cd dist"
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 04/03/2007 02:36:46
On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> Doesn't work with bash, but does work with tcsh and regular csh. I'm
> normally using tcsh. I noticed cd was aliased to something, so I
> commented that out and restarted the shell, but still the same
> results. Again, this doesn't happen on my i386 machine.
>
> Weird. But then again, it's entirely possible that I'm missing something.

Yes, the cdpath variable. From the tcsh manpage:

      cd [dir ]
      chdir [dir ]
            Change the shell's working directory to directory dir.
            If  no argument is given, change to the home directory
            of the user. If dir is a relative pathname  not  found
            in the current directory, check for it in those direc-
===>       tories listed in the cdpath variable. If  dir  is  the
            name  of a shell variable whose value starts with a /,
            change to the directory named by that value.

  - Hubert (longtime tcsh user)