Subject: Re: current kernel-- config issues
To: bmcewen@comcast.net <bmcewen@comcast.net>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/23/2007 13:24:55
On 2/23/07, bmcewen@comcast.net <bmcewen@comcast.net> wrote:
> ------------
> qube# ls
> CVS/            GENERIC         INSTALL         files.cobalt    majors.cobalt   std.cobalt
> qube# less INSTALL
> qube# config INSTALL
> ../../../../conf/files:5: syntax error
> ../../../../conf/files:168: syntax error
> ../../../../ipkdb/files.ipkdb:5: syntax error
> ../../../../miscfs/procfs/files.procfs:3: syntax error
> *** Stop.
> qube# pwd
> /usr/src/sys/arch/cobalt/conf
> qube# which config
> /usr/bin/config
> -------------

(Caution, non developer speaking.)

I think this is the kind of thing you see when the kernel source and
userland toolchain are not matched or close enough to the same.

This is why I prefer to download the entire source tree, then use
build.sh to first build the toolchain, then the kernel and other
stuff. You are practically guaranteed to not have problems with the
toolchain itself that way. User errors unfortunately are something
else :)

> also, while I'm here, is this all I need to add to get USB support going?

I'd also like to know this, and I'd also like it to be part of the
default kernel since it's been so long that we have worked around the
"firmware kernel boot" limitations by booting the bootloader.

Andy