Subject: Re: patching
To: Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk>
From: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 10/16/2006 08:23:12
On Oct 16, 2006, at 6:01 AM, Glyn Astill wrote:

> Okay thanks guys,
>
> I've already installed samba, apache and mysql from source and have
> them set up. Could one of you two advise on the best way for me to
> convert over to using pkgsrc?
>
> Do I have to remove what I've installed already? And if so how do I
> go about this?

Oh wow, I missed that, the teraqube page doesn't give pkgsrc details
like Andreas' page does.

His instructions for perl say to use the pkgsrc, but samba just gives
a tarball-- did you get the .tar from the samba.org site?

Hopefully you actually used pkgsrc to get samba as it is now in the
pkrsrc tree, just as you did for perl.

If not:
You can/should build/install from source and be using pkgsrc.  The
fact is the binary packages for the Qube often are way behind or
nonexistent; I've always just built from source myself.   Using the
pkgsrc tree to get your source files helps markedly in keeping track
of important things.

If you don't have pkgsrc, or want to keep it current, Andreas has a
good guide up:
http://www.aironaut.ch/content/view/27/53/
Follow his directions to first obtain, then update the pkgsrc tree.
You can use his 1.6.1 instructions, you get -current if you don't
specify a specific version, and -current is what you want.

  I would be surprised that sources you just grab from the samba.org
site would build on NetBSD/MIPS without some tailoring, but if they
did, they did :)

As far as deleting what you put in-  It depends a little on what you
did and where you got the sources from.  As far as I know the ftp
site has been down for a bit, so perhaps you didn't use the link he
gave for the 1.6.1 version, but built from /usr/pksrc/net/samba or
got a version from a 3.x directory if the ftp was up?

As far as more current walkthru's go, check out Andrea' site that is
linked above, there are how-to's for 1.6.1, 3.0, and 3.99 that you
can glean ideas from.

-B