Subject: Re: NetBSD 3.0 cobalt restore CD - success!
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Rowdy <rowdy@netspace.net.au>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/05/2006 12:25:00
Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> In article <dp7p5e$i3$1@sea.gmane.org>
> rowdy@netspace.net.au wrote:
>

>>I have used netbsd-GENERIC.gz (entire boot log below, in case anyone can
>>find anything anomalous).  I also compiled a new boot.gz bootloader from
>>the 3.0 sources.
>

> Maybe it's better to extract usr/mdec/boot from base.tgz,
> but is it worth to put boot.gz binary to distribution dir too?
> (under NetBSD-3.0/cobalt/installation etc. like sparc port)
> ---
> Izumi Tsutsui

Thankyou, I was not aware of that file (base.tgz:usr/mdec/boot).

I have copied the previous NetBSD/cobalt installation CD layout:

/nfsroot/cobalt/installation is an empty directory

/nfsroot/cobalt/binary/kernel contains boot.gz and the kernels

/nfsroot/cobalt/binary/sets contains all distribution sets (base, comp etc.)

If I understand the layout of the sparc CD correctly, the
/sparc/installation directory contains utilities to help the user
perform an installation.

The Cobalt appliances are more restrictive.  The restore CD is targeted
at users who will be performing an automatic installation via NFS, and
the user does not interact with the installation process.

Rowdy