Subject: Re: Announcement: NetBSD/cobalt 3.0 restore CD
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Ouellet <daniel@presscom.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/03/2006 19:01:46
> 1. in some instances the RAIDframe problem still surfaces, but this is
> apparently rather rare

Will either hang on reboot after install, or go to ddb> Removing the
configuration for SCCI and RAIDFrame in kernel let you pass that. But
rare however, or very old RaQ 2.

> 2. sometimes the appliance, after reboot, is not able to obtain an IP
> address via DHCP, and it is necessary to connect via the serial port to
> complete the installation

Will show "Unknown Host [0.0.0.0]" on the display, instead of the usual
IP address to rlogin to. 10.0.0.160 if that's you first box obviously.
If you do multiple, they will have different IP's. (:> remember, rlogin,
not telnet. Not working at that time of configuration from the I368
server setup from the CD for the install. If you have the 0.0.0.0
display, just connect a console to your Cobalt 115,000 8N1 and login to
finish the install. Piece of cake! Then reboot.

> 3. paneld still consumes an inordinately large amount of CPU resource,
> and it is recommended that it be disabled

Just check it for yourself. uptime will display a quick results.

With paneld enable: load averages: 1.18 or very close to that +- .05

Without: load averages: 0.08 +- .03

Other then that, the install is quick and flawless. May be 10 minutes
from when you have your CD ready. 15 if you have a big drive, or more if
you have a HUGE drive. But from start to end, 15 - 20 minutes max should
be what you need really.

Daniel