Subject: Re: creating a 3.0 restore CD
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Rowdy <rowdy@netspace.net.au>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/29/2005 20:17:08
Alex Pelts wrote:
> Rowdy,
> Both of the switches would not hurt - "follow symlinks" and "allow
> leading dots". You can just add whatever options accomodate for this
> behaviour. I think the desired behaviour is "allow leading dots" because
> symlinks will be accomodated by -r (Rock Ridge) flag.
>
> Regards,
> Alex

Thanx for that, I have created a new ISO with the -allow-leading-dots
switch to mkisofs, and I have at least an ISO created without obvious
error messages.

My first try failed because:

   Setting up boot partition......

cp: /cobalt/binary/kernel/netbsd.gz: No such file or directory

A quick look and there is no netbsd.gz file in that directory, but there
is a netbsd-GENERIC.gz and netbsd-INSTALL.gz.  I tried the
netbsd-GENERIC kernel, but I suspect that is too big for the bootloader
to load (1.2M compressed and 2.9M uncompressed).

I cannot find a description of what the netbsd-INSTALL kernel actually
is - does anyone know whether it can be used for my purpose (creating a
3.0 restore CD), or will I have to (try to cross-)compile a custom
kernel for the Qube 2?

I also seem to be having hardware problems on the 'spare' machine I am
using to boot the restore CDs *sigh*.

Thanx

Rowdy