Subject: Re: 2.1 Kernels do not boot when bootedwithbootloaderotherthannetbsd
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/23/2005 14:58:17
In article <4383FF29.7030205@broadcom.com>
alexp@broadcom.com wrote:

> The kernel you provided in earlier email boots just fine when booted
> with native firmware. I have not tried colo as native qube firmware is
> enough for my purpose. Thank you for that!

Ok, good to hear.

> That is enough indeed. I guess my next step should be to update
> restorecd to environment based on -current. I still would like to find
> out why 2.1 does not work though.

I'll try to build INSTALL-like kernel on 2.x and check how it goes
on my RaQ2. If it works, I'll send a pullup request for netbsd-2 branch.

> Netbsd bootloader is just fine, but it cant load kernels over the
> network and therefore can't be used as a first step to load a large
> kernel. But if 3.0 works I do not see a need to do any first step loader.

I see, maybe the way to go is to add kloader(4) support to
cobalt kernels. It should be trivial though I have no idea
how much work is needed for now.

> The config utility that comes with 2.1 crashes when processing config
> files. I had to build the one that comes with the kernel. Could that be
> a problem?

How does it crash?

config(8) (which is now config(1) in -current BTW) tool should be
sync'ed with target kernel sources. see
http://www.NetBSD.org/guide/en/chap-build.html
for details.

> On netbsd site there are daily directories for all of the oldre releases
> as well. They seems to have newer files than official release directory.
> What is in these  directories?

http://www.NetBSD.org/Releases/release-map.html
mentions about these releases and snapshots?
---
Izumi Tsutsui