Subject: RE: Re: RAQ2 boot problem
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: None <paulmac2@aol.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 09/05/2005 11:36:43
----------MailBlocks_8C78046C08B7CF2_4CC_870E_mblk-d33.sysops.aol.com

>Sorry to possibly state the obvious, but the firmware boots the NetBSD
>bootloader, and the bootloader boots the kernel in the NetBSD root
>partition right? A lot of people still seem stuck on trying to make a
>kernel to fit on the Linux boot partition (as I was in the beginning),
>so I'm hoping we can start clearing up that you don't need to do
>that...

Yes, the bootloader vmlinux.gz and kernel netbsd are in the right places
(/boot in the ext2fs and / in the NetBSD fs).

>> Kernelized RAIDframe activated
>> scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
>> wd0 at atabus0 drive 0INTRF
>> panic: siop_intr: I shouldn't be there !
>> Stopped at netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x4: jr ra
>> bdslot: nop
>>
>> db>
>
>Well, this could be a few things.  I'm not really smart enough about
>the code to know what those messages mean after the panic, but I think
>siop is related to the scsi controller. If you  you expect not to use
>scsi, you might try commenting out the siop controller:
>
>siop*           at pci? dev ? function ?        # NCR 53c8xx SCSI
>and
>scsibus*        at siop?
>
>> How have other people been able to get this to work?  If I should be using a
>> different
>> kernel, I'll need to know how to build it because I'm going to have to do it
>> again to add
>> IP forwarding, IPF and PPP.
>
>I don't have the RAQ, so I don't use scsi at all.
>
>First question is, have you ever built a kernel? Having experience
>with building one on another machine would be helpful. But mostly you
>want to do it with build.sh in the root of the source tree.

I've built 1.n kernels on MIPS and other hardware.  What I did then was boot the
generic kernel, then tailor on or off the features I wanted by building a new kernel
later.  But it sounds like either my SCSI controller is returning a condition that the
new kernel isn't dealing with very well or the new kernel just doesn't work well with
SCSI.  In either case, disabling the SCSI features by building a new kernel beforehand
seems to be the only workaround.
--
:p.

----------MailBlocks_8C78046C08B7CF2_4CC_870E_mblk-d33.sysops.aol.com

<HTML><BODY><DIV style='font-family: "Verdana"; font-size: 10pt;'><DIV>
<DIV>&gt;Sorry to possibly state the obvious, but the firmware boots the NetBSD<BR>&gt;bootloader, and the bootloader boots the kernel in the NetBSD root<BR>&gt;partition right? A lot of people still seem stuck on trying to make a<BR>&gt;kernel to fit on the Linux boot partition (as I was in the beginning),<BR>&gt;so I'm hoping we can start clearing up that you don't need to do<BR>&gt;that...</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Yes, the bootloader vmlinux.gz and kernel netbsd are in the right places<BR>(/boot in the ext2fs and / in the NetBSD fs).<BR>&nbsp;<BR>&gt;&gt; Kernelized RAIDframe activated <BR>&gt;&gt; scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle... <BR>&gt;&gt; wd0 at atabus0 drive 0INTRF <BR>&gt;&gt; panic: siop_intr: I shouldn't be there ! <BR>&gt;&gt; Stopped at netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x4: jr ra <BR>&gt;&gt; bdslot: nop <BR>&gt;&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>&gt;&gt; db&gt; <BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Well, this could be a few things.&nbsp; I'm not really smart enough about<BR>&gt;the code to know what those messages mean after the panic, but I think<BR>&gt;siop is related to the scsi controller. If you&nbsp; you expect not to use<BR>&gt;scsi, you might try commenting out the siop controller:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;siop*&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; at pci? dev ? function ?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; # NCR 53c8xx SCSI<BR>&gt;and<BR>&gt;scsibus*&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&
 nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; at siop?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; How have other people been able to get this to work?&nbsp; If I should be using a<BR>&gt;&gt; different <BR>&gt;&gt; kernel, I'll need to know how to build it because I'm going to have to do it<BR>&gt;&gt; again to add <BR>&gt;&gt; IP forwarding, IPF and PPP. <BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;I don't have the RAQ, so I don't use scsi at all.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;First question is, have you ever built a kernel? Having experience<BR>&gt;with building one on another machine would be helpful. But mostly you<BR>&gt;want to do it with build.sh in the root of the source tree.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I've built 1.n kernels on MIPS and other hardware.&nbsp; What I did then was boot the</DIV>
<DIV>generic kernel, then tailor on or off the features I wanted by building a new kernel</DIV>
<DIV>later.&nbsp; But&nbsp;it sounds like&nbsp;either my SCSI controller&nbsp;is returning&nbsp;a&nbsp;condition that the</DIV>
<DIV>new&nbsp;kernel isn't dealing with very well or the new kernel just doesn't work well with</DIV>
<DIV>SCSI.&nbsp; In either case, disabling the SCSI features by building a new kernel beforehand</DIV>
<DIV>seems to be&nbsp;the only workaround.<BR>--<BR>:p.</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

----------MailBlocks_8C78046C08B7CF2_4CC_870E_mblk-d33.sysops.aol.com--