Subject: Re: HFS+ partition
To: Kevin Jordan <krjordan@348north.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/12/2005 21:48:42
On Aug 12, 2005, at 12:34 PM, Kevin Jordan wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Good guess, but no.  I'm using my Raq2 to backup files/photos/etc
> from my
> mac.  My understanding is that Apple uses HFS+ to allow for rich
> metadata in
> the file system (for use with Spotlight), metadata which I think is
> currently lost in my backups.

Spotlight won't add metadata, it will only be there if you add it
yourself.  You're mostly worried about Finder info and resource
forks, I guess... well, if you install an AFP server on your Raq2,
then maybe the right thing would happen (netatalk package).

Another option is to back up to an SMB volume (samba on the Raq2)...
then the OS X side would do all of the heavy lifting for Finder info
and resource forks itself (by using those pesky ._ files).

This, of course, is assuming you're just backing up by using Finder
to copy files.  If you're not, then your backup software has to
understand how to store the additional file attributes in its own
storage format.  What are you using?

> I don't claim to know the ins and out of file systems, but it seems
> like a
> good thing to have my backup on the same FS as the original if at all
> possible.

Not necessarily.

-- thorpej