Subject: Re: HFS+ partition
To: <>
From: Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/12/2005 15:55:32
--------------enig2ED1AF35F6ABD0FE4EC368E0

Kevin,

> Good guess, but no.  I'm using my Raq2 to backup files/photos/etc from my
> mac.  My understanding is that Apple uses HFS+ to allow for rich metadata in
> the file system (for use with Spotlight), metadata which I think is
> currently lost in my backups.

Hmm... that may be due to the backup software itself. For example, if
your backup software is not HFS+-metadata-aware, then it will be lost
when you copy it (over the network, I imagine) to your Raq.

If your backup software *is* HFS+-metadata-aware, then it can probably
create something like a TAR file (or other big backup file) which
contains all that stuff. In that case, it doesn't matter what type of
filesystem you use on the Raq.

I'm guessing that the HFS+ metadata only gets copied from the source
file to the destination file by the HFS+ filesystem driver, and only
when copying between HFS+ filesystems. If you're using SMB, AFS, or NFS,
then you're going to lose that metadata anyway; your backup software
needs to be able to store that metadata along with the file's data and
then restore it for you on demand.

> I don't claim to know the ins and out of file systems, but it seems like a
> good thing to have my backup on the same FS as the original if at all
> possible.

This is especially true if you do not archive your backups (i.e. you
just have a 1:1 copy of your data on the original machine and the backup
host). But, if your backup software can create a big, single backup
file, then you can store it anywhere you'd like.

-chris