Subject: Re: Willing to use PF on a Cobalt box...
To: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/02/2005 16:36:58
On 8/2/05, Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net> wrote:
>=20
> On Aug 2, 2005, at 6:07 PM, Vini Engel wrote:
>=20
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I am planning to use NetBSD on my Cobalt boxes to build firewalls and
> > was wondering if there is anyone using the -current branch on their
> > cobalt machines.
> >
> > The reason I am asking this is that because I am going to use PF
> > and if
> > I am not mistaken PF if not available on NetBSD 2.02 so that I will
> > have
> > to update to -current.
> >
> > Does anyone know if the -current is stable enough to be deployed?
> >
> > I am also looking for docs related to Cobalt and NetBSD so I would
> > appreciate if any of you could send me links and/or docs.
>=20
>=20
> I think that a lot of the good stuff (fixes) is possibly in -current
> and perhaps not rolled into the stable branches yet.  From the last I
> had read, anyway.
>=20
> There are quite a few people here using -current;  I think you'd be
> OK.  Looks like pf is part of the base; it's ready to go on my box,
> anyway, (-current) and I didn't intentionally build it.
>=20
> There are a couple of walkthru's to doing the netboot install, and
> also some July .iso installers for netbsd-cobalt with -current.
> You'll need a CPU with a supported network card though.  If you have
> a boooting Qube 2, you could follow the walkthru (available from
> serverl I'm sure).
>=20
> See the July 13th and earlier dates of this list for some threads,
> notably from Andreas Schaefer:
>=20
> ----------
> Subject:     Updated RestoreCD (lcd fix, dhclient/missing bpf fix):
> RestoreCD-COBALT-20-20050714-043549.iso.gz
>      Date:     July 13, 2005 9:29:07 PM GMT-04:00
>      To:       port-cobalt@netbsd.org
>=20
> Hi.
> There is a new release of the cobalt restore cd available at
>     ftp://raq2.s-zone.org/pub/NetBSD/cobalt/
> available.
> File:
> ftp://raq2.s-zone.org/pub/NetBSD/cobalt/RestoreCD-
> COBALT-20-20050714-043549.iso.gz
> Please read file "relnotes.txt" for detailed changes.
>    - 2005-07-14   RestoreCD-COBALT-20-20050714-043549.iso.gz
>                   RestoreCD-COBALT-20-20050714-043549.md5
>                   relnotes.txt
>=20
>             - /nfsroot/install/scripts/install-core.sh
>               The device node created by the install scripts for
>               the /dev/lcd does not work.
>=20
>           The install script now creates the device panel0
>           via a call to
>                    mknod /dev/panel c 36 0
>               and links this device node to /dev/lcd.
>=20
> [...]

I'm using pf on 2.0.2 for i386. It's in pkgsrc and it's an lkm. But I
don't think you can do lkms on cobalt?

Anyway, pf is part of the 3.0_BETA distribution. The release of 3.0 is
fairly imminent I believe. Point being, you don't have to run current
if you don't want to.

pf is good. I like it. I'm goign to get to 3.0 as soon as possible on
my i386 server so I can pf as part of the distro.

Andy