Subject: Re: Cobalt XTR
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: admin@agnus.datazap.net <admin@agnus.datazap.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 05/30/2005 18:23:00
Hi,

On Sun, 29 May 2005, Peter Zinc wrote:
>     It's my first time on this list and I'm interested of putting up
> NETBSD on my Cobalt XTR
> I've read through the port-cobalt mailing list and find some
> interesting info as to how one can install netbsd on cobalt but most
> of the topics are on MIPS based cobalts .. mine on the other hand is a
> Pentium III Coppermine Processor, 256 RAM. I've tried to incorporate
> the stuff that i've seen guys do on the list/FAQ

Yes, NetBSD runs on this hardware; it is coverted by the port-i386.

> * slice the 40gb hd i have and format 20mb to ext2

You will not do this until you are able to netboot the system and then it
will need to be done like this:
mke2fs -r 0 -O none /dev/wd0e

> * copied the netbsd-GENERIC.gz kernel into root directory
> (ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0.2/cobalt/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz)

It will not boot form this kernel, you need an kernel from port-i386.
There is a limit on how big the kernel can be, so I would try one from:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.2/i386/binary/kernel/

> * setup nfs and dhcp on my linux box

I have never used a linux box for netbooting, but it can be done. I will
not be much help here.

> * and lastly the bfd /netbsd-GENERIC.gz nfsroot=/home/raq/root

This is to netboot a kernel from another computer. You will need to create
a directory /home/raq/root/ and put in an i386 kernel there called
netbsd-GENERIC.gz.

> but it still loads up the linux kernel instead of the kernel i've just
> specified.

This is because it is unable to find the netbsd kernel.

> maybe you guys can point me to some parts that I might be missing.

I think that it would be helpful to install NetBSD on the system that you
will be placing your root file system on for the cobalt to boot from. Then
create a directory called "/home/raq/root". Then download the i386
binaries and untar them into that directory. Then gzip the kernel with
"gzip -9 netbsd" (do not change the name). Next setup dhcp and nfs and you
will need to install minicom on a system that is connected to your cobalt
via a null modem. You will need to turn the console on by using an ink pen
or something that will go into the hole on the front of the cobalt. Hold
in that button while turning it on. Then run minicom and turn on your
cobalt.  Hit the space bar and then it should give you a prompt. Then
type: bfd /netbsd.gz nfsroot=/home/raq/root

You should then be able to do a manual install of NetBSD.

-Al

P.S. I am going to be selling a couple more cobalts. I could install
NetBSD on one of them if you win it. This may be easier for you.