Subject: How-To/Documentation help....
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael Cozzi <cozzi@cozziconsulting.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 05/17/2005 19:12:41
    Hi all,

    At the risk of appearing ill informed, I have a few questions.
Please realize that I came into the Unix world from Linux, not the other
way around.

    I inherited a RaQ2 and understood full well that security wise I
would not be able to expose it to the internet without a great deal of
maintenance headache. Thus I opted to use it for an internal proxy
server with the stock CacheRaQ rescue disk.

    As I've been researching things, I've found these RaQ2 appliances
perfect for some small operations on my edge network. However, with the
lack of a fully maintained stable branch from a Linux distro, and the
unwillingness (this week) to make my own port, my little RaQ is
relegated to proxy status.

    I have gone through the NetBSD install and done some configuration
of the box, but found myself with some questions.

    Perhaps someone can point me to answers for the following:

    1. I'm unclear as to what tools are available for maintaining an
installed system. I'm looking for some concise documentation.

    2. Firewalling? I usually write firewall rules for my Linux boxes.
Are there any examples for NetBSD?

    The main issues I'm trying to assess here are whether it's worth it
time wise to deploy NetBSD on a few RaQ2 systems for stealthed
nameservers and perhaps a tertiary MX. In my particular situation it may
not make sense time wise as a mini-isp. Thus a pointer to tools and or
examples would be helpful. Book suggestions would be helpful as well.

    I thank you in advance for any comments.

    Michael