Subject: Re: panic
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: admin@agnus.datazap.net <admin@agnus.datazap.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 05/17/2005 13:37:31
On Thu, 12 May 2005, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> On 5/12/05, admin@agnus.datazap.net <admin@agnus.datazap.net> wrote:
> > Also, I have to build a kernel to make it start using it own hard drive.
> > I changed:
> >
> > #wd*            at pciide? channel ? drive ? flags 0x0000
> > wd*             at pciide? channel ? drive ? flags 0x0ff0
> >
> > Could this change be related to the problem?
>
> I can't comment on what those flags do in the kernel config, I don't
> know what that is...

It is for turning off DMA.

> But if you send a command to a drive to flush cache and it doesn't
> work, that seems like a real problem. A drive problem.

I don't think the problem is with the drive, because the hard drive
controller stops responding.

For the error I get when it kernel panics:
install ===> share/man/man8/man8.alpha
trap: address error (store) in kernel mode
status=0x7f02, cause=0x14, epc=0x80161ba8, vaddr=0xc6a341d2
pid=23325 cmd=make usp=0x7fffdba8 ksp=0xc747bdf0
Stopped in pid 23325 (make) at  0x80161ba8:     sw      v0,0(a0)
db>

The buffer is not aligned, so DMA is not working. This is why turning off
DMA will allow it to boot, but the buffer issue still causes a kernel
panic somewhere down the road.

I believe that I have a similar problem to what they are taking about
here:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-bugs/2002/12/04/0008.html

I didn't see a fix for this in the any of the mailing lists. So, I am
wondering if this is either a hardware problem (with my raq2) or are there
differences in the raq2?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
Al